Saturday, September 22, 2012

GOODWILL HUNTING


One of my favorite places to shop, for the past 9 years now, since discovering the great deals combined with “lending a helping hand” (what a fabulous win/win!) HAS to be Goodwill Industries. I have to admit I never frequented a thrift shop and only on a rare occasion a Consignment shop prior to Coreys arrest and our relocating over to Spokane to be near at hand to be of support and as much assistance as we could be. It was in our off hours as we would wander (we used to walk a LOT! those dark, depressing, stressful days of our son’s prosecution!)or drive the streets of Spokane, that we ‘discovered’ shops like Value Village, or Goodwill Industries, as well as various small, cute second hand shops known as “consignment” shops. A few in Spokane I recall were Plato's Closet and another on Washington St, close to an apartment we'd rented for our stay in the city. I found I delighted in brousing the endless (it seemed) racks of used clothing, household goods, furniture, well, you name it, it was there!. And the amazing deals I would score! Leather jackets for $5, great designer label shoes that only needed new insoles or a good cleaning for only $3, ladies jeans and asst pants and tops and sweaters ranging from 99 cents to $3. Who knew?! Well I came to realize MANY folks knew, those who had a need or a thirst for a bargain, or just a new treasure…like they say, someones junk is someone else’s treasure!

It was when we moved to Taft and I shopped the local GW store there that I became virtually ‘addicted’! The money that is spent in Goodwill goes to fund job programs and training for those in need (and in these times there is a great need!) and also provides clothing and just about everything you can imagine a need for, to those on a strictly limited budget. I felt good in contributing to the cause, as well as in making my own donations of household items or clothing we no longer wanted or needed, but which were still in great shape.

Over these past 9 years, where ever we have found ourselves, either just visiting for a day, a weekend, or simply passing through, we will always take a little time to stop in at a Goodwill Store if we pass by. I have purchased brands like Ralph Lauren Polo or Chaps and Faconnable, in like-new condition for $3 at GW stores. I have purchased many sets of beautiful 400 and 500 count cotton sheets and pillow cases, made in Egypt or India, KS, for less than $3, also at GW, they are stunning. I have added many beautiful pottery bowls and pitchers to my collection, why I simply cannot begin to tell you all the amazing bargains I have scooped.

I also find wonderful deals on Ebay, a sight most are more than familiar with! Lately I’ve scooped up some great J Crew, RLPL, Faconnable and Ermenigildo Zegna (Coreys favorite brand) shirts for under $10,and that includes shipping costs! Some in Brand New condition, some in used but "like new" condition. I find myself wondering why anyone would be paying full retail for such items when such bargains are available? If you are reading this post, and have never considered shopping a Goodwill or Thrift store (though I must warn you, some “thrift” stores are not nearly as immaculately clean and organized as Goodwill stores are, so be forewarned!) DO consider it. You might call it part of your plan to lessen your footprint on the planet, recycling, or just donating to a very good cause.

"Cannot people realize how large an income is thrift?" ~ Cicero

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home