Monday, August 30, 2010


TINY HOUSES

Over the past few years I've become intrigued by "tiny houses" houseplans. In fact I "follow" one blog in particular that I really enjoy. This past weekend a new posting allowed for a glimpse at this "tiny" house in Idaho. The size of the house is only 16 ft X 16 ft, but has a basement as well as a second story. I mean really, how much space do we actually need or for that matter, use, in our homes? I know I spend most my time in the family room/kitchen, the living room is rarely used. Don't get me wrong, I love the openness, high ceilings and abundance of space, but these past few years have me re-thinking so many things...our "trappings" and accumulations of "stuff" for one thing.
I hate clutter yet sometimes it seems to breed overnite, and suddenly I look around wondering why I'm feeling so stifled. Its at those times I become a woman possessed, and undertake a virtual whirlwind of cleaning and organizing activities, working my way room to room, critically analyzing and deciding what will go and what can stay. Once my task is accomplished, the counters clear and the culprits neatly back where they belong, or stored in boxes for Goodwill or to be pulled out, and re-examined another day, perhaps to take the place of another object I've grown tired of, I feel a sense of peace settle over me.
Frugality is one of the most beautiful and joyful words in the English language, and yet one that we are culturally cut off from understanding and enjoying. The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things. ~Elise Boulding

1 Comments:

At 1:59 AM, Blogger cascadeboy said...

You are welcome to clean my kitchen table any time, it is magic and grows messy all by itself! I usually have to scrape it in a box and label the month to keep up with it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home